Sponsored

IELTS WRITING CONTEST - WEEK 16

Discussion in 'IELTS WRITING CONTEST - IWC' started by Hoàng ZIM, Nov 6, 2016.

Follow IELTS Forum để cập nhật những bài học và tài liệu mới:

1. Hoàng ZIM

Hoàng ZIM Master Staff Member

Tham khảo

IELTS WRITING CONTEST - WEEK 16

You should spend about 60 minutes on this task.

Topic:
    Traditional written exams are the most effective way to measure intelligence. Do you agree or disagree?

You should write at least 250 words.
    Start at: 21h22 - End at: 22h22

IWC16.2.png

Share This Page

Belcooo likes this.
  2. Triet

Triet Master

Tham khảo

There is some dispute whether the best method of assessing students is to use examinations or some form of continuous assessment. This is a complex issue and my belief is that there is probably no one method that applies to all educational systems.

There are three major arguments in favour of retaining exams. One is that they provide a clear and objective measure of what students have learned, whereas any form of continuous assessment is probably going to be far more subjective. An additional point is that testing tends to be an excellent way of motivating learners to study harder and to reward the students who do best. Likewise, examinations test the ability of students to work under pressure, and this is a vital life skill for their later careers.

On the other hand, there are still occasions when it can be better to relieve the students of exam pressure and to measure their abilities through continuous assessment. This is particularly the case in lower age groups where young children can be affected negatively by stress and under-perform in exams. It can also be argued that continuous assessment is a more effective way of testing some subjects such as design and technology, which are more creative and less academic. A further point is that often continuous assessment can allow teachers to reward students who work hard, but who may be less able and not do well in more formal testing.

In conclusion, while continuous assessment may be fairer in some contexts, there are still times when traditional exams may be more appropriate. A possible compromise would be to use both forms of testing together, allowing teachers to reward both ability and hard work.

Share This Page

3. noel_trang

noel_trang Master

Tham khảo

For a long time, written tests have been an indispensable part in virtually every education systems. Students generally have to go through many exams in their learning periods. It is a common belief that written examinations are the best way to measure students’ learning capability. However, I tend to disagree with this argument and in this essay, I will give examples to support my opinions.

First of all, I believe that tests in general only judge the students’ capability of finishing a task after being taught. Therefore, it might not reveal their ability to solve new and difficult problems. In other words, tests cannot be used to assess intelligence. For example, a student can pass most tests with flying colors by simply practicing questions similar to the ones in the real test. At the same time, a very smart student might have a lot of trouble if he has not done anything likewise before. This illustrates the fact that tests usually judge students’ preparation, rather than their intelligence.

Furthermore, written examinations usually make test takers extremely nervous. Taking a test put students under a lot of pressure and it might shut them down completely. For example, there have been many cases where students passed out during university entrance exams in Vietnam. Needless to say, the pressure of tests affects greatly to their outcomes and makes it extremely unreliable.

On the other hand, many people believe that making students face the same set of problems is a fair way to measure their intelligence. However, it has been shown that people have many types of intelligence. Some people are good with languages while others excel in math. Therefore, it is nearly impossible to judge one’s ability using a single test.

To sum up, I believe that due to the nature of tests and the pressure that they create for students, written exams are not the most effective way to assess how smart a person is. However, more research still needs to be done in order to fully understand intelligence and hence find the best method to measure it.

Share This Page

4. Ta Hong

Ta Hong Master

Tham khảo

Recent years have witnesses a wide variety of kinds with regard to examination, which has aroused a heated debate of whether the written exams in the traditional way have taken the most powerful effect on showing individual's intelligence or not. Views on this issue vary from person to person. I am a great supporter of ther former for the following reasons as follows.
    First and foremost, the examination written by a person shows the way the he thinks. Conspicuously, only when doing the tests do man express the most important thing in his imagination at the same time. Furthermore, the methods that one uses his test can certainly test his problem-solving skills, by dint of the fact that there are many solutions to one problem. The Person who can overcome the major barier is the most intelligent person.
    Another point to note is that thinking and writing at the same time are the best way to test one's smarts and brains in their genetics through the test. A person maintains his mental ability only based on what he is born with genetically, contributing to the fact that the examiners can assess one's intelligent quotient that he is born with.
    Finally yet importantly, however, the tests in terms of writing do not examine another basis aspects that have the power to show humans' intelligence. The written test do not give the expression of the verbal skills, which can exam human beings' fast-thinking owning to their smart. Paradoxically, reading test can also test the study or the great knowledge that the written test do not take.
    From what has been discussed above, knowingly or unknowingly, one can reach a conclusion that, while both approaches have benefits and drawbacks in our ever-changing world, I would concede that the writing-based exam in traditional way is the effective way to demonstrate mankinds' intelligence. It also appears to be the case that government should promote more sound investment in the systems associated testing in various fields through important skills such as writing, reading, speaking and so on.

Share This Page

5. Belcooo

Belcooo Master

Tham khảo

I believe that there are many kind of writing examination but traditional written exam (like IELTS writing test) is the most effective way to measure my intelligence.
    Firstly, when I join the traditional written exam, I must be confident about my intelligence, about my knowledge will meet the requirement of the examination. For example: when I take part in the IELTS writing contest-week 16, I assume my writing skill will be more or less meet the examination
    Secondly, I myself need to brainstorm to get some good ideas about the contest's content, like what is traditional written, how do I feel about the traditional written exam agree or disagree, or something like that. If I am a fool, I can not get any type of ideas about this.
    After that, I build a mind-map about my ideas, this map will help to build my ideas become more clearly, more smoothly. For instance, I feel exciting when I read the contest's content but I need to write down my thought like : what ideas do I have about traditional written exam, does the best writer who I have known be smart or intelligence, or something like that
    Finally, I represent the mind-map to the reader with completely structure which I am learned in the school or in the language courses. This type of skill require me to understand my writing style to access the memory of learning English and using the right structure for each type of writing.
    From the above opinions, I think the traditional written exam can be use to measure intelligence of the students with the condition the students must do it themselves, do not copy their exams from somewhere.

Share This Page

6. Hungnguyen28

Hungnguyen28 Master

Tham khảo

There has been increasing interest in doing tests by writing as usual. And hence, the effect of this method in classifying cleverness of student is still in people's mind. In my opinion, I completely disagree with this idea for some reasons.
    What should be the upmost point is that this examination method focuses on theories only. Student then cannot get engaged in real situations well. As a consequence, student will always wonder where they go wrong with a stone in mind that is this is exactly as what the book says. As a matter of fact, the majority of graduates in Vietnam has been viewed as unskilled labors for the reasons, though their intelligence is immeasurable.
    Another point should be taken into account is some are really bad at memorizing texts, especially ones with hundred to thousand words. By taking written exams, their IQ number cannot be reflect accurately, meanwhile, the others who may have better skills of arranging words right in their places in minds though bad practitioners can be mistakenly appreciated. Let's take Einstein as an example. He used to find reading really challenging before being one of the greatest scientists of all the time.
    In conclusion, as in a role of a student, I considerably believe that traditional method of examining student through writing never empowers educators to measure their students effectively and correctly. Instead, they should be put into reality.

Share This Page

7. hihi21

hihi21 Master

Tham khảo

It is argued that, judging intelligence by traditional written is the most efficient way. However, I completely disagree with this argument. There are two main reasons for this opinion in the following essay.

I believe that only determine how smart people are just base on their writing skill is not enough. Writing skill Is a minor aspect in total verbal skills, which including, writing, reading and speaking. Thus, using only traditional written exam is lacking to see people’s cleverness in verbal skill. For example, elementary Vietnamese exam always contain 3 parts to test out the ability to use word of that kids. Those parts are written skill, reading skill and speaking skill. Another clearly example is the IELTS test, which is the test to see how fluently that people can use English, this include not only writing skills but also reading, listening, speaking skills.

There is another view of intelligent, for example structure, mathematic, logic. Firstly, good writer is may not a good logical or mathematical people, therefore, to say the writer’s intellectual is more than others is not an acceptable way. This judgement is like saying a monkey is better than a fish in term of climbing a tree. Hence, scientists have created the combination test, which is called IQ test to determine intelligence. This test includes structure guesting, calculation and verbal skills.

In conclusion, it is inappropriate way to use only tradition written exam to test people intelligence. There is another element such as logic, speaking, calculating, to determine intellectual prospect.

Share This Page

8. Paul Etton

Paul Etton Master

Tham khảo

In the forthcoming university entrance examination, there has been confirmation of the change in the way Maths paper will be redesigned. Rather than adopt the conventional written test, Maths test is going to be in the form of multiple choice question. This real fact poses an opposing opinion that traditional written exams may assess students’ intelligence the most effectively. This viewpoint is justifiable for several following reasons.

First and foremost, creativity enhancement may be what I put my priority in when it comes to the old testing method. Sitting in traditional written exams, students are required to elaborate their whole solution onto answer sheet. In order to accomplish the test in allotted amount of time, there is a desperate need for pupils to find not only correct but also concise, mind-challenging solutions to maths problems taken as a salient example. That underlines the fact that traditional written tests facilitate creativity amongst students, which, accordingly, leads to effectiveness of intelligence assessment. Without doubt, it is the power of boosting ingenuity that renders old method of testing effective in evaluation.

Secondly, sense of objectivity is another essential factor contributing to the effectiveness of written tests. Requisition of detailed presenting as aforementioned compels students to find ultimate results of calculating process, or the exact events in History tests, even the exact name of legislation in Civic Education exams, and so forth without any suggestion of answers like in multiple choice type, for instance. This results in the optimum avoidance of stroke-of-luck situation. The assessment is highly likely to be more objective, reflecting accurately the ability and intellectual standard of each student. As an outcome, written tests prove to be effective in evaluating the smartness in candidates. Beyond any doubt, impartiality of written tests assists them in testing reliably and precisely the intelligence quality of students.

In conclusion, I would reaffirm that it is the most effective for conventional written exams to evaluate the thinking ability of students. This type of question is still supposed to be adopted in the coming entrance exam to yield the best result of students selection.