Sponsored

IELTS WRITING CONTEST - WEEK 17

Discussion in 'IELTS WRITING CONTEST - IWC' started by Hoàng ZIM, Nov 13, 2016.

Follow IELTS Forum để cập nhật những bài học và tài liệu mới:

1. Hoàng ZIM

Hoàng ZIM Master Staff Member

IELTS WRITING CONTEST - WEEK 17

You should spend about 60 minutes on this task.

Topic:
    Some people believe the role of radio has become irrelevant in today's world of other great technological innovations such as computers or tablets.
    To what extent do you agree or disagree?

You should write at least 250 words.
    Start at: 21h22 - End at: 22h22

Anh.png

Share This Page

2. Belcooo

Belcooo Master

In my childhood, there was much more memory with radio when I listened to Voice of Vietnam to updated information. From my point of view, I believe there are some advantages and disadvantages when using radio compared with other hi-tech gadgets.
    Firstly, radio just transfer audio signals which is a weak point when people have a rising demand for visual programs, such as live stream, video call or so on. Most of people feel voice from radio is so boring, stories from radio just single of duplex, not full of duplex as they request.
    Secondly, the world wide web expand to many places in the world, corresponding with the rich of digital content. An individual can connect with his/her favorite groups around the globe when staying at home to update news. He/She can not do similar tasks with traditional information systems.
    However, there are many areas which is highland or far away from the central. In these zones, there is condition of lack of internet, thus people can not use modern technology to access internet as in the city, they use alternative solution, that mean radio is still relevant for them.
    Furthermore, the previous generations face some difficulties of using digital tools. They spend a lot of time to smoothly use the QWERTY keyboard as well as swipe screen, as a result, they choose old habit listening radio.
    In conclusion, audio devices such as radio still has the important role and cooperate with other methods to do great mission that transfer valuable stories to audiences.

Share This Page

3. dtnghia2206

dtnghia2206 Master

People have different views about how radio is extraneous in modern world which is full of cutting-edge devices. For my perspective, I believe that new technologies have more benefits than the old ones like radio so that I agree with the statement.

On the one hand, the irrelevance of the radio among other gadgets is an indispensable result of technology development. Firstly, almost every individual in big cities possesses a Smartphone which can be used to listen to music and read news through the internet. For example, a single memory card can contain more than a hundred songs and can be played anytime of a day which is properly more beneficial than listen to music on radio. Secondly, the sound quality of radio is extremely unstable, especially in terrible weather. Therefore, digital signal from modern devices like tablet or IPod brings better experiment to the users.

On the other hand, it is sometime argued that listening to radio provoke unique feelings like nostalgia when you accidentally hear your songs or good stories. But radio nowadays not only broadcasts your favorite shows but also a lot of advertisements which make profit for the company. It will definitely annoy you while you are listening to important news. Furthermore, there is a small chance that you would hear your favorite songs on radio and it may be wiser idea to have an mp3 player and enjoy all your songs while working. Your time will be more flexible if you use computer for reading news instead of listening to it in certain hours of a day.

In conclusion, radio used to be a useful device but it is not essential in today’s world because of other better technological improvements.

Share This Page

4. hihi21

hihi21 Master

The idea is that; modern technologies have made the role of radio become faded and forgotten. In my opinion, I agree that devices include laptop, tablet is now the common entertainment way; however, radio is still stand in other people’s heart.

On the one hand, the important reasons why people are shifting their interest from listening to the radio to watching laptop or tablet. Firstly, a visualization, radio perhaps cannot satisfy people curiosity anymore, as they want not only to hear but also to see. For example, YouTube, this sharing video channel has dramatically increased its value for the beginning, this implied how people prefer to share and entertain by video instead of listening to radio. Secondly, an interaction between user and device, people can quickly change to other topic or listen to another song by just a click, but a radio cannot serve.

On the other hand, there are strong reasons, why radio is still used. The first reason is, coming from its weakness, although radio is can only be heard this function has created a uniquely useful way for all drivers from taxi to truck, bus. For instance, the majority of radio listener are truck and bus driver, who take long hours behind their wheel. Therefore they have to use their eyes for driving, this purpose makes a radio is the best entertainment choice for them. The second reason is that people who like imagination, while listening to radio, they can imagine pictures from hearing words. They see creating pictures is a delight way for enrichment, not to see it on a video.

In conclusion, although being obscured by the modern functions of laptop and tablet, I would argue that radio is still being used not only the present but also the future.

Share This Page

5. Nguyen Bao Anh

Nguyen Bao Anh Master

It is undeniable that the inventions of technology have provided people with magical tools to simplify daily problems. However, some people believe that the role of radio in life is being replaced by other greater technological innovations. This opinion will be discuss on both sides hereafter.

In the past, radio tended to be the greatest technological invention. Unlike newspaper, which is also a way to know hot news, radio is suitable even for people who cannot read. In spite of its usefulness, in recent years, the number of people who use radio decreased. Instead, they prefer laptops, cell phones and tablets, what are multi-functional, more modern and easy to carry. If people can only hear from the radio, with computers and telephones, they can also see the information with lively pictures and videos as well as discuss with each other throughout them. For example, in Vietnam, there is only a small group of people who still use radio to get information, such as old people and people who live in rural areas. These new technological innovations are helping people a lot with their jobs, making them become easier, reduce working time and increase working quality.

However, computers and tablets also have disadvantages that radio does not. Technology abusing is no longer hypothesis in today’s world. It is not rare to see children and teenagers are addicted to video games, people are becoming lazier due to technology.

In conclusion, I partly agree with the opinion that radio are being replaced by other technological inventions. However, as this trend is rising in today’s life, I suggest that people should be careful when using computers and tablets due to their dark sides.

Share This Page

6. Paul Etton

Paul Etton Master

In the modern world, the advent of so many remarkable inventions has revolutionized the way people live. As regards the topic of technology, there arises an opinion that the radio has played an irrelevant role in high technology scenario like today. However, I am in part agreement with this statement and my viewpoint would be elucidated as follows.

On the one hand, in my opinion, radio is out of fashion compared to other media. The invention of computers and especially the Internet is pivotally crucial to human life because of their utility and velocity. In this time and age, when the field of information technology dominated the other sectors, rapidly keeping abreast with the up-to-date information is undeniably necessary. Nonetheless, radio, which emerged decades ago, still depends on old method of information transmission via waves. The chances are that the dissemination of knowledge can be disrupted in the event that signal is weak, or waves meet their obstacles. That underlines the fact that radio is quite old-fashioned as opposed to strong development of technology nowadays.

On the other hand, despite its inconvenience and lack of high speed, like other media, it is information distribution that is also the important role of the radio. As far as everyone is concerned, there remain a lot of the elderly in this world, who are regarded as behind the times as well as not have enough flexibility to keep up with the breakneck speed of technological enhancement. Being in demand of updating information like the others, old people still need some inventions coming from their times, such as radio, to satisfy their thirst. Moreover, the appearance of the radio marked a breakthrough in the history of hi-tech. That is as to why existence of radio in contemporary times is something that modern people like us show deep respects to. It is a way we pay tribute to those who laid foundation to technology and contributed to its striking development. In sum, radio is still important and relevant to this digital era to some extent.

By way of conclusion, I would reaffirm that the radio is of significance to this world where a lot of technological innovations are encouraged, though. It is suggested that in order to render this invention live long through time, there should be some innovative adjustments made to it.

Share This Page

7. phananhphu

phananhphu Master

In the contemporary world, the advent of breakthroughs in the field of technology has made inroads into the role of radio, leading to the proposal that the way of transmitting news and information via radio waves has been obsolete. Personally, this notion proves irrational to a certain extent.

To begin with, a compelling argument can be made that radios are of great importance in conveying information to distinct locations, especially under-privileged areas. In fact, these regions are often vulnerable to natural severities such as storms or landslides, making locals live in an impoverished state and inaccessible to luxurious high-tech gadgets like portable computers. Besides, the literacy rate of residents in these areas is dismissed as inadequate to utilize technologies effectively. As a result, they have to resort to cheap and handy radios to keep abreast of current news.

What is more, information broadcast on radios seems comparatively up-to-date. Clearly, with helps of reporters from all corners of countries and latest techniques in communication, radios are capable of keeping up with hottest news, ranging from celebrities’ scandals, blockbuster releases to the president elections or weather predictions. To illustrate, the popularity of radio channels such as British Broadcast Channel or Voice of America reveals that people still choose radios as their favorite means to keep themselves up today with headlines.

Lastly, radios also serve for educational purposes in an effective way. In reality, the dominance of laptops or tablets does not assist students in studying a lot because teenagers are more likely to be distracted by colorfully-illustrated games or instant messages rather than use these innovative items for the sake of acquiring knowledge. Intangible radio waves, by contrast, can transfer nothing apart from sounds; hence, they cannot appeal learners to such pastimes, followed by their intense concentration on study. Besides, educative contents such as learning English or analyzing literature works are progressively incorporated into programs on radios, thereby giving audiences more choices to hone their academic skills.

To conclude, I strongly believe radios still play an indispensable role in helping people update with latest news as well as serving as a fertile source of knowledge for the public regardless of the booming of technological innovations.

Share This Page

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  8. JohnSlayer

JohnSlayer Master

Since the beginning of the Information Age, many inventions such as radios have positively impacted human's life. However, when more important forms of media such as computers, mobile phones came into use, people believe that the role of radio has become considerably undermined. I myself completely agree with this viewpoint.

For a wide variety of reasons, it is rather problematic to use radios nowadays. Firstly, radio users may find it annoying to constantly listening to low quality sound. They may either adjust the antenna, or keep tapping the volume control. Secondly, that radio only transmits sounds and lacks images may lead to a tedious experience. People tend to become more attracted to animation, rather than just monotonous conversations or musical shows. Last but not least, radio may not work well in remote area, where radio waves are usually out-reached, which in turn producing the irritating buzzing sound.

To me, every functions that radio gives, has already been implemented in other device. There is a reason as to why people disused their out-of-date transceiver these days. If radio requires strong waves to bring you the daily news, a hi-tech television only needs you to plug the cable in. Not to mention that watching TV is also a more convenient way to inform you of round-the-world political news. And if radio had always entertained folks in their recreation, then computers certainly do, too. You may be kept on the edge of your seat by playing games with brilliant colors implemented, while listening to your favorite tune, hours after hours without feeling bored. Most importantly these sort of device rarely meet up with the problems that radio usually had, such as interference or sudden breakdown.

In conclusion, radio has completely turned irrelevant in this era of advance technology. I truly suggest that the radio industry should make efforts in rebuilding its gadget so as to help the poor in the faraway area, and as to rebuild their redeeming feature. Otherwise, there is nothing at all to justify their vanity, thus obliterating their existence.